Friday 10 March 2017

Flying amongst Condensation Castles:Part 2

I give chase to the gaggle proceeding northwards.

Dean is but a spec, high in the distance with a train of gliders stung out behind. I get strong sense Dean is very much about flying fast - maximize time on glide, minimize time in climbs. Simply put, one does not rack up the km's going around in circles. Take risks, calculated ones mind you. In some ways it feels to be the antithesis of comp flying where one lets the gaggle do most of the work and flying conservative (until final glide) almost always pays off. In essence - comp flying is fixed distance vs. near unlimited time (relative to the distance), while XC is fixed time (sunset) vs. unlimited distance. A lot of overlap in skill, but differing in mindset.

A satori of sorts but there is still flying to be done.

The crew push on northwards. Landing options are more limited with restricted retrieve possibility. Bushwacking in 37C temps on my second day of flying here? Not so keen. And I am getting low again.

I need a top up. So back south to the ridge face overlooking the valley. I am sure to snag something there.

A Nova Phantom sharing the same plan.

Heading south, into wind.
Trying to avoid the venturi that is sure to be between the two hill tops at the bottom of the picture.


Climbing again.


Another climb scored.

It is unlikely I will be able to link up with Dean and the others at this point, so I branch off on my own to give the run to town a look.

Castelo ahead. Tick Hill LZ to its left. Wall LZ directly below.

Unless I find another climb, the Tick Hill LZ (so named due to the tick infested long grass covering it) is a gamble with the growing sea breeze (one needs to arrive rather high at LZs here in Brazil due to the potential for power lines). The Wall LZ is possible but will put me further from the retrieve van with its AC (thus a longer wait for no real benefit). 

Lets make the best of the situation and turn this straight line run into a triangle. Backtrack towards launch and try for an into wind valley crossing.


Motoring on back up the valley.
See the perfect crossing point ahead? Good. Cause I didn't.

If there is ever a master of the low save, you're lookin' at 'em right here (I've since been given the nickname 'ain't no thermal low enough' by my fellow tour mates). So I gamble on driving straight out in the valley with the intent of catching enough bubbles to make the opposite ridge line.

Rolling the dice.

Bubbles are found, but not quite enough. Eventually I roll snake eyes and need to find a LZ.

One final pass, looking for power lines.

LZ located. A side hill landing (crash) it will be.

Sadly, Little Baby Jesus did not smile on my attempt at a valley crossing today.
On final...
... and down.


 Landed nary a scratch or bruise (it goes 50/50 in my case with remote side hill landings). Radio in on the retrieve channel that I am down and push a 'retrieve me' message on the Delorme.

Doesn't take long for the van to pull up as I hike out and I find out I am somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of landing time. Not a bad outing for the first XC at this site.

The result.

2 comments:

  1. Mark, I flew my fist comp in 4 years last month in Columbia. Comp pilots are FAST!. The pace was way faster than I ever fly XC. There was no hanging back that I could see - maybe in the lead gaggle but I doubt it. I was flying every transition was on full bar with the pulleys overlapped. Even then I was falling behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, they are quick indeed. I recall Jocky at the Chabre Open pointing out that one can easily make the top 20 in near any comp by doing just one thing - make goal every day. Let the gaggle do the work - leave the risk taking to the desperate.

      Delete