Wednesday 27 January 2016

Touring the Mountain: Part 3

Back at launch for Round 2.

The wind is coming up both sides - Steve recommends trying the south launch as it seems to be better.

I ask about being able to make it back around front.

Don't worry, the reply. From this height you can make it all the way to the main LZ in town. In anycase, the house thermal is to your left (east), give it a look, if it doesn't work - make your way west.

This is why one hires a guide - they know what can and can't be done with the site and the nuances to get the best out of it.

Sky clearing, tourists are out.
I'm sure to make a few Facebook photos/videos today.
Meanwhile one of the local tandem instructors comes over and pulls Steve aside for a quiet discussion.

I yell out, "Wasn't me!"
... just in case.

I find out afterwards that there have been a few GoPros that have gone missing from pilots gear recently and it appears they now have a very good idea who it is. Steve points the gent out to me. A reminder that despite 99% of the pilot community being honest, we will see bad apples pop up like any other part of society. Keep your electronics close kids - if it is not in your possession, it soon will be in someone else's.

Laid out for yet another forward but this time on the southern launch. I feel the wind at my back but Steve (facing me) feels it on his. Not uncommon at this time of day as thermals climb both sides of the mountain. Normally one would be on the watch for dust devils - but with the high cloud and large amount of moisture still on/in the ground, it is unlikely we will see any.

I wait and watch the northern launch windsock - looking to see the signs that the southern wind flow is pushing far enough up launch. Two minutes pass and Steve chimes, "Feels good."

Not quite yet. Another half minute and there - no wind on the back of the neck.

Southern launch is a committed one - it is relatively flat and ends in a sudden drop off.

Running...
...and running...
... and no more ground.


To the house thermal we go.
Get in close, head for the house.
See if I can find any 'crawlers' along the way
- thermals that like to stick the hillside until they hit a trigger point at the top.

A few bubbles. Try a bit further out.

Pushing out further, not much here today.

Not much, back to the cliff to where I know it was working when I launched.

Heading back, going to need some lift to be sure I can make it around the west side
and to the LZ.

Oooo...lift.

 Yep still working.

'Bring it around, bring it around, bring it around' as Kelly would say.
Bank it up.


Wheh! Sigh of relief.

Above launch. Looks I won't need to go westward and can instead slip over the top and back. Hear word on the radio everyone is going to meet at the Main LZ then head out for food.

Should be able to make a go for it at this height.


Crossing on over to the north.

White t-shirt + jeans + camera. Would love to see the photo they took.

On the north side.

-2.0 m/s of sink all the way out.

Time to skedaddle.

LZ options -> 'Jurassic Park' or the Main LZ across the river.

Just as I approach the river, Dean is on the radio asking if I am going for the Main LZ.

I reply with a 'thinking about it'

'Good', the response.

Visiting pilots tend to get intimidated by landing in town - likely due to the absence of any form of bailout. Once you cross the river, there is no going back -> you have the river, buildings, and the height restriction to contend with. Even with a huge LZ, it tends to make newer pilots apprehensive.

A semi-rite of passage for GV, I guess. I recall Chris White once commenting that if we do not continually push the boundaries of our comfort zone flying wise - we will end with a tolerance so narrow, we will stop flying altogether. Deans singular response leads me to believe he feels the same.

Decision time: 'Jurassic Park' below or main LZ to left?
Main LZ it is.

Burn altitude over island until ~1000 feet AGL.
Downwind leg, base leg along bridge.

On base.

On final.


Bright idea. Swoop the packing area.

I can do this.


I can still do this.

Ooo.. this gonna be a hot landing..

Slide and pop it up onto feet before the path. 

Lets just say the approach was a little hot and there was some baseball-esque sliding involved before popping it up back onto my feet. I suspect I might be a candidate for the 'Dick of the Day' award after that.

But for now, onto the local Sunday night pilots hangout - where the beer is cheap and the service questionable. But the beer is cheap.

An impromptu bar in the middle of the street.
Continue with 'I'm all about cloudbase.."

No comments:

Post a Comment