Thursday 28 January 2016

I'm all about cloudbase, 'bout cloudbase, no sink out: Part 2

I have a good feeling about today.

I hop into the launch slot just vacated by Dean. Steve lends a hand getting the wing sorted out and keeps an eye on the cycles. Flip on the Contour and watch the pilots ready to go to my right. Two pull up and go. 

Ready to go. Steve watching the wind and nearby wings. Simon getting ready.

"Looks good", from Steve. 

Let these two get clear.
I give the two that just got away a few extra seconds to decide on a direction.
Once it's clear they are not going to intersect with my path, I bring the wing up, give it a check and go.
Airborne.

I watch the pair to my right circle, but they are not climbing. The cloud over launch is darkest and thickest just downwind of the Cauldron - not downwind of here.  The Cauldron is where I need to be.

Away. Decision time. Follow them or play a hunch?

To the Cauldron. Hmm, that Cu looks like kind of big. Will keep eye on it.
Once in, it takes no time to lock into the climb that a trio of gliders above me are using.

Banking it up and getting ready to hold on.
Even with the moisture in the air, the ride is a contrast to flying everywhere else around GV. The thermals are rough and sharp edged - much like spring flying back home but without the climb rate. That said, 3.0 m/s is a godsend compared to the sub 1.0 m/s I've been finding everywhere else here. Bank up, hold on, and cloud base (coupled with escape from the mountain) is assured.

Sorry Simon.
Simon launched just after I did and now joins in the climb from below. Looking up I notice everyone is going in the opposite turn direction from me, so a turn reversal is in order. Should have noticed that before starting the carve.






Uburu -
always a good sign you are in the right place at the right time,
unless there is a dead cow directly below

The vultures come over and join the climb from above. Steve mentioned you know this is a good climb when the birds join you.









I'm all about cloudbase...




60 seconds later. 
Cloudbase.
And still climbing.








I am not sure where everyone is and hunting for them in the white room seems like a particularly unwise course of action. More so when Dean is flying a mostly white Nova X-Alps glider. This provides some food for thought for a GliderHUD feature that could use either BLE or Wifi P2P to link to a cell phone and then onto a Leonardo Live like server that can can relay live location information for a friend or two (or your guide in my case) which in turn can be displayed as a bearing and distance.

Scooting eastward, I hop on the radio to announce my location and that I am at base. Dean replies he sees me and is to my east - just waiting to see if we need to run further east along the ridge or if a break will appear in the cloud above and behind launch.

Spot the Dean. Hint - cloud, riser.
Word has it Nova will soon offer red. Sounds like a brilliant plan 

Holding pattern. Waiting for a break to turn right and head south.
Dean, "I see an opening." I look right and spot it.

Time to make a break for it.
Turning to face. Key the PTT.

Reply, "Shoot the gap!"

Piece of cake.
Head on a swivel to keep an eye out for fellow pilots. 

AAAAaaannnnddd through.

Clear of the mountain.
Notice that base at the mountain where I am is near the height of the cloud top ahead.
A common occurrence here.

Flatland XC goodness await. 

But for one not so small detail....

Onto Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment